Background of Institution
Universiti Teknologi MARA or UiTM, established in 1956, is Malaysia?s premier institution of higher learning with worldwide acclaim for its teaching and research quality. It is the largest university in the country with a main campus, three satellite campuses, 12 branch campuses, six city campuses, 25 affiliated campuses and a smart campus for the future. Presently, the Shah Alam campus is host to 45% of the total 100,000 students.
What Makes Us Special?
- UiTM is a world-class socio-economic achievement
- UiTM?s academic perspective is varied, inter-disciplinary and international
- UiTM?s curriculum is globally relevant, rigorous and responsive
- UiTM?s scholarship consists of knowledge innovators and paradigm bashers
- UiTM?s Niche Areas include Architecture, Biotechnology, Building, Polymer Science, Valuation, Material Science, Law, Agricultural Forestry, Accountancy, Information Technology and Communication, Mass Communication, Pharmaceuticals, Art and Design, Nanotechnology, Hotel Management, Neutraceutical, Retailing, Mechatronics, Marketing, Facility Management, Insurance and Risk Management, Actuarial Science and Engineering.
- UiTM?s Centres of Excellence are:
- Institute of Research, Development and Commecialisation (IRDC)
- Institute of Knowledge Advancement (INKA)
- Malaysian Institute of Transport (MITRANS)
- National Soil Erosion Centre (NASEC)
- UiTM-MICG Corporate Governance Centre
- Asian Centre for English Language Teaching
- Centre for Consultancy and Testing ?Halal Haram?
- Computer-Aided Design Engineering and Manufacturing (CADEM)
- Microwave Technology Centre
- Financial Reporting Centre
- Institut Kajian Zakat Malaysia
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Institute of Journalism.
- UiTM?s research comprises multidisciplinary, record-breaking innovations, and world-class innovative achievements which are industry related and have high commercial value.
All academic programmes fall under the three main areas of Science and Technology, Social Science and Humanities and Business and Management. For Science & Technology, there are the Sciences, Medical Sciences and Engineering studies and for Social Science & Humanities, there are the Social Sciences and Humanities Studies including law and performing arts.
Academic Facilities & Resources
- Library: with over one million books, 2,340 current periodical titles, over 14,000 electronic journals, a digitised collection of academic documents, audio-visual materials and multimedia CD ROMs, managed by a UiTM designed software referred to as the Integrated Library and Management Utility.
- Computer Facilities
- Classrooms and convention halls
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
- All aspects of student welfare come under the Student Affairs Division.
- Student activities range from cultural performances, film screening, concerts, recitals and plays to conferences, seminars, workshops and competitions.
- There is an extensive support system for international students. To date, UiTM has 54 undergraduate, 11 postgraduate students and exchange/internship students from the four corners of the world.
- Several government agencies, ministries, private and corporate bodies offer scholarships to deserving students. To date, there are 24 such organisations involved in this scheme. The National Higher Education Fund is the only body that offers study loans to students who need financial aid.
International Recognition & Achievement
Links with partner universities and professional bodies include:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), UK
- Certified Public Accountants (CPA), Australia
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), UK
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), Royal Ins., UK
- Institute of Administrative Management, UK
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA), UK
- Institute of Marketing, UK
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport International
- The Textile Institute of Manchester, UK licentiateship of the Textile Institute
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Graduates of Diploma in Medical Imaging may apply to the International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists (ISRRT)
- Academics of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering are recognised members of The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), USA and the Institute of Electrical Engineers